Thursday, October 8, 2009

Californeeah!

As most of you know, my bro lives in Cali. This past weekend while K was engaged in a tactical gun class, I went to visit him along with my parents. Highlights of our stay included:

The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in San Fran - talk about a massive event. There were LOADS of people at each of the 6-7 stages that hosted a variety of performers from Lyle Lovett to Robert Earl Keen to Steve Martin to the Old 97's. We contemplated moving from stage to stage in order to witness different acts, but the overwhelming crowds caused us to remain in our same spot the entire day. For the record, I have never been surrounded by so much weed. I think I got high from just breathing regularly. Check out the type of clientele at the event in the right hand side of the picture below:


And on a completely unrelated topic, below is another "posed" picture of myself, but really of the guy behind me wearing the Texas shirt at a random bar in Houston a few years ago. I think he and tye dyed swirl girl would get along nicely.


We also went wine tasting a couple days. Here we are at Van Ruiten Winery, home of the Wall Street Journal's best zin:


Lodi, a town nearby that's known for its wine and fruit, has lots of produce stands around with fresh goods for purchase, so our 2nd morning there we stopped by and picked up some home grown corn on the cob, strawberries, tomatoes, etc. We got the best sausage I've ever eaten from a local meat market, my bro bought a new $25 grill from Wal-Mart, and we had a serious feast the next night while watching Monday night football:


On our way out of town, we stopped at Tex Wasabi in Sacramento - Guy Fieri's restaurant (blond crazy guy with spiked hair on the Food Network). My favorite dish was the jackass roll: Tapioca rice paper roll with sushi rice, avocado, BBQ pork, french fries & a garlic chili mayo sauce. It sounds disgusting, but was absolutely fabulous. Bubbie needs to work on his chopstick skills!!!!



2 comments:

Erin said...

love love love you...have fun eating a corney dog for me! :) (this is totally unrelated to this post.) :)

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

THAT is the funniest thing I've ever seen! BBQ sushi! I love it!

Glad you had a fun adventure while our guys were learning to shoot! :)