Friday, September 18, 2009

It's That Time of Year Again!!!!!!!

So for those that know me, you can attest to the fact that The State Fair of Texas is one of my most favorite events in the entire world. Every year my family comes up to Dallas, and we spend the whole day walking through literally every single exhibit. We know the cheapest place to buy beer (in the pavilion), we have our regular stand from which we typically buy corny dogs, the dog show is a must. We lived in Rowlett when I was younger, and I was even on TV while at the State Fair years and years ago!!!! My mom tells me that the newscaster asked what my favorite part about the Fair was. Apparently I batted my eyelashes and said shyly, "the rides."

It really is fantastic. So fantastic that this year Oprah has chosen to partake in the extreme greatness of The State Fair of Texas. My mom and I both just about fell out of our chairs when I found this article in the Dallas Morning News. The fact that October 12 is Columbus Day, an official bank holiday, provides me with all the more ambition to be a member of her audience when she films that day on fair grounds. While I have no idea how to get tickets, I'm sure that I will figure it out and be chosen to observe Oprah as she experiences this amazing Texas tradition. She will love it, I know she will.

And on a completely unrelated topic, I would like to send a shout-out to all the corporations out there that are "saving costs" by buying smaller cups, i.e. coffee sized, only. While you may think that you are saving money by cutting out the expense of buying larger cups, I can assure you that you are not. Employees are now forced to use 2 small cups to equal what they once were able to get with 1 large cup, which means that a) more cups are being used more quickly, causing you to spend more money replenishing stock more frequently and b) employees are much less productive because they are leaving their desks to fill up their smaller cups with more water twice as often as they would if you'd provided big cups. So really - keep the big cups, please. Healthy Americans are required to consume at least 8 cups of water a day. You'll make our jobs much easier and more efficient....

0 comments: