Monday, September 7, 2009

Jackson Hole / Yellowstone Recap: Day 5


DAY 5 -8/24 (Monday): The weather this morning was seemingly threatening, so we slept in and picked up breakfast to eat in our room from Terra CafĂ©. Eventually the clouds parted, and we made our way to the Death Canyon trailhead. We hiked up to the Phelps Lake overlook (again – beautifully breathtaking), then down to the shore where we ate a power bar in the sand near the water. The incline was rather steep, but worth it. The high altitudes were difficult, but I felt my lungs saying thank you for the fresh air and exercise. We saw several moose tracks, but no moose. We also came across a marmot sunning himself on a rock.






Today’s MRE was rather random to the extent that I believe there may have been a packing mishap at the plant. The outside label stated BBQ Pork Ribs (which secretly I’d been saving for last because it sounded so disgusting), but the contents were: granola with blueberries and milk, Mexican style macaroni and cheese, fried rice, beef ravioli, and a tootsie roll. We ate the granola and mac and cheese. Tried the fried rice but it was foul and inedible by my standard. Finished off with a Power Bar which hit the spot. MMmmmmmmmm.


After the hike we went back to the hotel and had a glass of wine with Ritz crackers and PB on our patio, showered, then walked around the shops at Teton Village. We ate dinner at a place called Rendezvous Bistro. It was good, but a little pricier and not as tasty as Trio unfortunately. We shared fish tacos as an appetizer, I had veal marsala, K had meatloaf, and we got a side of mac and cheese. TONS of food, but we were hungry! That night we were relatively lazy and watched Dating in the Dark (lame, I know) while packing up. Hit the sack early to get up at 5 for our 8:00 departure back to the Big D.

We came back of course with that feeling of being in love all over again. Vacations really are a lifeline in our relationship, and I’m so appreciative and blessed to have a travel companion with like mentality when it comes to globetrotting. Had K not enjoyed experiencing different cultures and places at a similar pace, I feel it may have been detrimental to our marriage. Maybe not detrimental, but I can’t imagine not sharing the closeness and intimacy we have when completely away from the stresses and monotony associated with daily routines and real life in general. The chance to reconnect is invaluable, and I’m more in love with my sweet husband than I’ve ever been before...

1 comments:

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

Y'all are so funny!!! I can't believe you ate MREs!!!! (JC makes sure we have a month's supply on-hand in case of a disaster...yuck!!!)

LOVE the picture of the lake with teh sunflowers in the foreground. Beautiful pictures. I'm always annoyed when my pictures don't come close to how beautiful it is in person, so I can imagine Yellowstone must be just breathtaking! You've inspired me to go there!