Monday, March 28, 2011

Abducted by Aliens Part Deux

The insanity continues as does my apparent alien abduction. This time it's related to yard work instead of baking bread. As a permanent disclaimer, almost all gardening / landscaping / planting activity has been inspired by by my Dad. He has been a great teacher along the way, and I hope one day to put to use the master skills he's passing on to me.

There are 2 main projects we've undertaken at the moment: 1) the garden and 2) the front yard. This time, I'll focus on the garden. The front yard, 116 plants and all, is another post.

As you might recall, last year I had a tomato plant in a pot. It yielded a pleasant harvest, and I decided to be adventurous this year and go for a small garden. To start with, we planted onions.


Not too long after that I planted a couple green bell pepper plants.


A couple weeks ago it was time for the tomato plants, one of which we lost to a tomato cut worm. What is that, you might ask? I have no idea. I just know that when I went out to check on my plants the morning after planting them the evening before, one of the tomato transplants was completely chopped off at the base near the soil. My Dad tells me that this worm wraps himself around the stem and chews it off. BAD worm, bad!!!

Back to the nursery to get another plant. This time, we cut up a straw and wrapped it around the stem of both the new plant and the existing plant to prevent the worm from eating any more tomato seedlings. I am learning so much!!!


K and I decided to take advantage of the amazing weather this weekend and extend our garden even further. So much for "small." We (mostly he) worked up the soil, we made a run to Home Depot for some soil conditioner, fertilized, then planted both green beans and squash - from seed, as you can obviously tell by the pictures.



And now all we do is wait. And water twice a week. And fertilize once a month. And wait. But mmmmmm I want some fresh veggies now!! Must be patient...

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I love this! And I am glad I'm not the only one who sometimes feels abducted by aliens when thinking about my new cool hobbies. Like crocheting. Whatever, it's super cool. ;) B is soooo cute. I need to see her soon!

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

yea!!!! yOU ARE SO AWESOME!!!

crist family blog said...

im doing the same thing but starting out in big pots..I did sweet basil, parsley rosemary last year and continued it this year with tomatoes,cucumbers,eggplant,green peppers jalapenos and strawberries