Thursday, June 2, 2011

Party Time!!!!!!!!

B is one!! Holy moly. This year seems to have gone by slow, but fast. I know that makes no sense to anyone except for everyone who has kids. So many changes since the day this sweet girl was born!


We threw a small party for close family and friends to celebrate her 1 year birthday. I was all up in a tizzy about having it the weekend before her birthday since she technically wouldn't be 1. And then the weekend after her birthday was Memorial Day when half the world has plans already. So we decided to celebrate on her actual birthday during the week at 4:30. The unfortunate part was that not everyone that we would have loved to be there could make it, but it worked out great at the end of the day. B was in upbeat form and did really well opening gifts and smashing her delicious cake.

I told myself I wasn't going to go all out, mostly to save myself from suffering a massive panic attack trying to plan and host an over-the-top kid party. Have y'all seen the frenzy from random 1st birthday blogs online???? In a perfect world I would've loved to have a perfectly themed birthday bash with matching decor and cupcake topper and invites, but that's just. not. me. So I chose to focus on 2 main decor items with no theme. 1) a birthday banner that I made for B and hung over the fireplace:


and 2) birthday balls that I hung from the ceiling in the dining room to add color and zest:


The banner I started weeks in advance, so had the luxury of taking my time instead of making it all in 1 day. I figured this is something I can hang every year. This website was my inspiration. I started the balls a few days before also, which were hung by my Dad and K on the day of. Even though mine look nothing like the pictures, this website was my inspiration.

For the food I kept it simple. We picked up an assorted wrap tray from a nearby deli, had baked corn dip, 7 layer dip and salsa, fruit salad, and cupcakes. I also set out a few small bowls with goldfish, pistachios, and PB M&M's, and we had lemonade, wine, beer, and water to drink. I found some crazy colored daisies at Sams that I put in a vase as a centerpiece, and called it a day.


For B's smash cake, I ordered Wilton's giant cupcake pan from Amazon and made it in advance. I also made 2 dozen more cupcakes the week before and froze them so I wouldn't have to worry about anything except icing them the day of. For B's cake I used Cool Whip with sprinkles on top to help minimize the chance of an insane sugar rush before bedtime.



She was very cautious and observant of the giant mound of food sitting on her high chair tray, as she is with most new things.


Eventually she had a taste then dug in.



Here she is with her Grammy and Grandpa - feeding Grandpa cake!


And with Mimi and Pop:


With her friend Grace:


Opening presents with 2 bows on her head, thanks to Dad:


Love this precious baby. Happy birthday, B!



4 comments:

Jennie Jones said...

Happy birthday to sweet Brooke! I can't believe she's already 1- she is such a doll, Stace!! Thanks for your sweet comment last week- I can't wait to get these sweet peas together soon! XOXO!!

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

You are so clever! I love the banner adn will definitely be back to this post for the links soon!!! :) Everything looks wonderful, Stace. Such fun memories!

Kristen said...

Happy 1st Birthday Brooke! It seems like just yesterday I was bringing yall food after she was born. Hope to see yall soon! Brooke is a doll!

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

Laughing at my last comment...yep, I'm back to get ideas for A's first birthday party! :)