Monday, January 28, 2008

Housekeeping, you want me fluff pillow?

In high school, my friend Shel used to repeat this quote from Tommy Boy in a really high pitched voice - not just once, but multiple times on a regular basis, sometimes daily. This is the only line from the movie that I know, other than, "Brothers don't shake hands. Brothers gotta hug," simply b/c my bro and K are tight like that...

The point is, I have never had a housekeeper. Part of it is that I'm too cheap to pay for one, and the other part is that I've never lived in a place big enough that really warranted being cleaned by a 3rd party. Now that I've moved in to a house that inhabits a husband and a dog with the bulk our time being consumed by our careers, the question of whether or not to hire a maid has come to light.

Originally I was vehemently opposed to this based on part 1 and part 2 mentioned above; however, I slowly came around to the idea that having someone come once a month to do a "deep clean" wouldn't be so bad after all. I'd maintain the normal upkeep during the week, and she'd come take care of the gross stuff after it built up for 3 weeks. This was not well received by K, who has been a strong advocate for the every-2-weeks clean from the get go.

The more I thought about it the more I realized that I'm a serious cheater when it comes to cleaning. For example, I don't move the chairs around the table when I vacuum, I clean the tub itself but not the shower walls, I dust around objects versus moving them completely, etc., etc. Those that witnessed my single lifestyle while living in a one-bedroom apartment in Uptown can vouch for the fact that I have the tendency to let things get to the worst of the worst before making the effort to embark on what I usually referred to as cleaning "events." As a disclaimer, it's not the "gross, nasty, crusty" type of dirty, but the "clutter" type of dirty - as in objects strewn all over the place in piles with the exception of a small walking path connecting major rooms of the house...

Long story short, K does not endorse or tolerate cleaning "events." Introduce Gigi. She was recommended to us by some dear friends of ours, and is supposedly magical when it comes to producing sparkling countertops, polished floors, the works. She arrived tonight in her Seven jeans and silver minivan to provide an estimate on our humble abode, and I think we're going to take the plunge. Will it be worth it? I hope so!!!!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Am I leaving your first blog comment? I'm pumped! I want a maid but I can't seem to justify it since I don't work. But when I go back to work, I'm all about it once a week.

And we sing "Fat Guy in a Little Coat" from Tommy Boy ALL the time at our house.

Anonymous said...

It will be worth it. I promise!