Friday, February 20, 2009

China here we come!

Sooooo change in gears from my last couple posts: Due to the economy, K and I have decided to postpone house building. While we want a new home and still feel as though this is an opportune time to build, we do not necessarily need a new home at this exact minute. Plus let's face it - it's risky, and we'd rather be conservative at this point than have our mortgage payment double and incur a ridiculous amount of new expenses in the form of higher taxes, higher elecriticy bills, new furniture, etc. Thankfully we are blessed to both still have jobs, but nothing is a guarantee at this point.

Also, we still want to play. And go to China. Play in China! We took the plunge and booked a 2-week trip there last night - oh my!!

K's friend Scott is getting married in Xian (hosts the famous Terracotta Army). Our trip will consist of a trip to Hong Kong, Xian, and Beijing to see the Forbidden City and Great Wall. I have to admit I'm a little scared. This is a regular occurrence before big trips, and my irrational fear generally revolves around plane crashes and in this case bird flu / SARS. BUT - it is truly a once in a lifetime experience and deep down I have a peace about our travels as I know they will be unique, amazing, and fulfilling.

We will be with the wedding party in Hong Kong and Xian, so will have local guidance and translators to help us navigate the city. Since we will likely never be half way around the world again, we chose to extend our trip and venture to Beijing on our own. Thankfully I have colleagues who have been to China and have recommendations on services and translators to guide us. They say it's best to hire a private car to show you around the city. A couple wedding guests have tentatively expressed interest in our extended itinerary, which would mean we'd have company should they choose to come along.

Our plan is to go to Half Price Books this weekend for travel references. I'm also very interested in learning more about the history of China itself so I can have more of an appreciation for what we see in each city by understanding the country's background. My knowledge at this point is limited as I hated history growing up and haven't invested much in learning it since.

So much more to come as we prepare for our trip! Needless to say we are very excited.

ALSO - I finally ordered my wedding album from our photographer today! Good thing we've been married over a year and a half...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool on the trip! We're jealous!

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

Wow! China!?! I'm so impressed! CAn you bring back a baby for me? :) (We're not allowed to go b/c of military stuff...rats!) Anyway- have a wonderful time! When arey ou going? Also- I'm impressed with your decision making process on teh house. You sound very wise and mature! :)

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

(hope that baby comment didn't sound tacky...)