Monday, May 17, 2010

Baby Update

Welp. Another week has gone by and baby remains extremely comfortable in her beach ball environment also known as my uterus. I went to the doctor this morning and am still not dilated. Baby also remains very high and has not dropped – same story, [insert whatever number – I’ve lost count] verse. Apparently my pelvic structure is small which could also be prohibiting baby from descending into the birth canal. Go figure...

SO – we scheduled a C section for next Monday, May 24 at 11:30. In response to the questions I’m sure you’re wondering:

-What about inducing again instead of opting straight for surgery?
Been there done that. The only thing that’s different now from when we tried inducing 2 weeks ago is my term. In theory my body could be more responsive to the induction drugs, but it’s not likely specifically since I’m not dilated any more than I was back then. My doctor also pointed out that recovery after laboring for hours and then ultimately going to a C section is more difficult and obviously more trying on your body. Had I been dilated today or had baby settled into my pelvis, I might feel differently, but at this point it makes more sense to me to just get her out!!

-If you want to just get her out, then why are you waiting so long to have a C-section?
Well. Let me tell you why. Because I want to wait that long!!! Really – we all know that I’m stubborn. Even though a C-section is the likely outcome (and I am mentally prepared for this to be the case), it is important to me to give my body every last chance to go into labor naturally on its own. Yes – it will suck being pregnant another week, and yes – we could get baby out sooner, and yes – I will probably have to have a C section no matter what because my pelvis is small and baby is not dropping. BUT - I am okay with all of those things and feel good about this decision. As long as baby is healthy and I’m not dying, then I can do anything for 1 more week even if it ultimately ends up being a week in vain.

Despite the fact that I lost 4 pounds this week (likely water weight), my maternity wardrobe is down to slim pickings. I went to Ross Dress for Less during lunch today and bought me another $9.99 maternity shirt to wear over the next few days. I could only laugh when the younger, buzzed Hispanic dude at the register told me I looked like I was about to “blow up.” Another favorite came from the cheesy Sam’s security guard who said, “I bet you have 9-1-1 on speed dial har har,” as I exited the store last Thursday…

And so begins another week of work, another week of waiting, and another week of making extra 100% sure that everything is done before baby arrives. At least there is a definitive light at the end of the tunnel and BG will finally make her grand appearance next Monday at the latest. Who says there’s anything wrong with being fashionably late??

3 comments:

Erin said...

i would have been like, in billy madison style, "har har har - SHUT UP!" :)

God's timing is perfect, my friend. You are a wonderful mama giving your girl her time...who knows what could happen! i love you and will wait patiently and with high hopes for a beautiful baby girl to arrive right on time - whenever that is! :)

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

NOTHING's wrong with being fashionably late!! Oh sweet friend- I'm sorry for all these struggles. I'm sorry it's not happening the way we dream about. but however she gets here- let her get here!! Erin's right- God's timing is perfect and He is in everything. The extra time you're giving her will allow her to develop more. We love you so much adn can hardly wait to meet your baby!

the Dominys said...

I love you Stace! I'm proud of the decisions you're making for BG Bowen- you are going to be a great mama!