Monday, April 21, 2008

Freak Balls

After an evening at the driving range last night, K and I decided to make a trip to Target to buy golf balls for a tournament that he's playing in this week. You might be initially shocked by the "evening at the driving range" statement, but I'm proud to report that I took a golf lesson this past weekend and am working to improve my game with the end goal of being able to play with clients in the future. As a female banker, this is an amazing skill to have and could ultimately result in acquired business down the line. [Work with me here in pretending that I'll be that good one day.]

On the Target golf aisle, we ran into the head of JPMorgan Asset Management. For some reason, I felt inclined to introduce myself to him, sweaty, frazzled, golfed out and all. I heard him speak at a luncheon a couple months ago, and met him briefly; however, the likelihood of him remembering me is probably zero given the mass amount of individuals that introduced themselves to him that day.

He ended up being the nicest guy in the world. At the lunch [which I referenced to assure him that I wasn't a stalker], he spoke of several books. Of course he had to ask me which ones I'd read since then, and I sadly had to report none. I'm glad I was honest because the follow up would've been, "So, S, tell me what you particularly liked about that book." Tap dancing at Target around 8:45 on a Monday evening is not my forte. But I digress...

So they have these golf balls called Freak Balls, made by Top Flite. We had absolutely no golf ball purchasing strategy going in, and after seeing the name decided that Freak was so the way to go. K says, and I quote,"These have good luck written ALL over them!!!!!!!!" I think the their motto of "Unleash the Freak" is hilarious, and agree with him that they're a great buy.

I am here to report that the head of JPMorgan Asset Management does not agree or endorse Freak Balls. After the introductions, he politely gave us a lesson in Buying Golf Balls 101. The lesson began with opening up the Freak Ball box in the middle of the shopping aisle to determine whether or not the balls actually said Freak on them, which they did. Upon this revelation, he strongly recommended that we go with something a little more professional, especially due to the fact that K's tournament is 1) related to his occupation and 2) will support client attendance.

Long story short, the conversation continued and we ended up talking all the way to the check out. Not only is this guy awesome, but his sister works at a company that is s a prospect of mine, and I had lunch with her about a month or so ago. She is equally as awesome, and I was so excited to make the connection.

I'm selfishly hopeful that he'll remember my name down the line, just in case my job ever becomes in jeopardy. After all, how many other employees do you think he's ever talked about Freak Balls with at Target??

2 comments:

Emily said...

You're such a big wig now. I don't think we can talk anymore because you're so important.

Are Freak Balls like Pith Balls?

Anonymous said...

I think there is a "Noodle" ball too. Is that cool or what???

J