Monday, March 17, 2008

There is no such thing as a normal family

Growing up I thought my family was normal. I still think we're somewhat normal to a certain extent, but others looking in might not necessarily agree, especially after reading this post...

This weekend I took a drive to quaint Salado, TX, to celebrate my uncle's 60th birthday. My decision to go was last-minute and spontaneous, spurred by the fact that K had made plans all day to help one of his good friends with home renovation tasks. Rather than sit at home alone, I decided to make the journey in hopes of spending some quality time with family members that I hadn't seen in almost 10 years.

This side of the family is rather unique. For lack of better explanation, I would say they're Renaissance-ish - very into Celtic music, drums, nature. I took a short video of the birthday festivities to better explain:

My sole purpose in posting this is to acknowledge that while some people might find this weird, I think it's one of the coolest birthday parties I've ever been to. I mean check out Cedric - the guy playing the violin. He has long hair down to his waist, a beard almost just as long, and is wearing a black kilt. And the drum players and flutist? These people have serious talent! The girl dancing in the middle is my cousin Laura, along with her youngest daughter Star. Laura sews sweater hats for a living, and her husband Tree makes drums.

I really am so proud to be an Egg and have a genuine appreciation for the way in which my family has grown to become, no matter how strange. To be exposed to such cultural influences growing up has expanded my point of view and made me thankful for things I otherwise wouldn't have even known existed. I am in awe of the talent that both my dad and uncle possess when it comes to wood carving, I love Celtic music, and the frozen red slurpee oranges at Scarborough Fair remain one of the most vivid and favorite memories of my childhood. Not only that, but it’s refreshing to be around people who are so free spirited and don’t take themselves too seriously or worry about what other people think of them.

There's a quote that says, "You don't choose your family. They're God's gift to you." What a great and wonderful gift I've been given!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Stacy, as one of my favorite philosophers (Willie Nelson) once said,”If you're not a little bit weird, there's something wrong with you.” (I'd highly recommend his book: The Tao of Willie. It's kind of redneck Zen.

I'm really glad you were able to come to the party. And you took some great pictures.

Uncle Dicky

Anonymous said...

Right on sista! Egg power!!

Bub Bub